Thursday, February 23, 2012

MY HAPPY PLACE

We all need a getaway.  Whether its a "Calgon take me away" bubble bath, relaxing on your backyard deck with your favorite beverage, rocking on your front porch or a long weekend to a favorite destination.  For me, its Southern Illinois, to our cabin in the woods.  Once there, my favorite spot, or happy place is lounging on the beds in our sunroom.  Covered in comfy handmade quilts and stacked two to three deep with an array of pillows, it is my refuge.  I watch nature out the window, bask in the afternoon sun, watch the ripples of the lake, read, sleep, sip hot tea or wine and just let the hours slip away.


I've accumulated both the quilts and pillows from a variety of sources.  The red and white checked quilt was in John's family and a wonderful hand-me down that I cherish.  But then, I really cherish all my quilts.  I wonder at the work put into them and what the women who made them lives might have been like.  I picked up the yellow one for $15 at a yard sale.  The folded up multi-colored one I got over at a Wednesday yard sale in South County for $20.  The peach and green one folded on the other bed I scored at a church rummage sale for $20 and the white one with the blue embroidery I bought for just $10 at another rummage sale.  The green chenille bedspread I got for $5 at a flea market.


The pillows I have accumulated over time.  Some were purchased new, the red and blue striped ones in the back corner are from TJ Maxx, they're bolsters, and they were on clearance for just $7.99 each.  The blue striped and green striped square pillows are "outdoor" pillows I picked up at the garden center at Wal-Mart for under $10 each.  Some I bought at flea markets and are "new" pillows made out of recycled fabrics such as kitchen linens, quilt tops, chenille bedspreads and barkcloth.  I paid as little as a $1 for some, which allowed me to splurge on a few others, the most expensive one costing $18 (the long, larger muted floral and fruit one made from a kitchen tea towel or tablecloth sitting in the center of the beds).



The braided rag rug on the floor is also vintage handmade.  I purchased it at the Brimfield, Massachusetts Antique Fair for $15.  There are a couple floral paintings on the short little side wall that I picked up for under $5 each at second hand stores in South County.  The large floral on the back wall was a gift and the painting of the Herons (I think?) was purchased at an Estate Sale in Belleville for $20.  The chandelier hanging in the corner was a find from years ago that use to hang in my bedroom back home but I don't even remember what I paid for it, knowing me, probably not more than $20.  John rewired it for me and instead of the usual prisms that hang from chandeliers, I strung small seashells and crystals on wire and dangled them from the fixture.


Well, I've now made myself sufficiently homesick for the cabin.  Ahhh, till we meet again, my happy place.  I would love it if you would share with me and my readers where or what your "happy place" is.

1 comment:

  1. Love all your reflections on the space. Pictures are wonderful - "cabin" at it's best

    ReplyDelete