Tuesday, March 31, 2009

PORT ISABEL and GLADYS PORTER ZOO





The top 2 photos were taken in Port Isabel Texas.  Port Isabel is the last town you hit before you cross the bridge onto South Padre Island.  There, we ate at Manuel's Tacos, a tidy little hole in the wall that has great Mexican food for breakfast and lunch.  A receptionist at The Skin Institute in South County turned me on to this place and she was absolutely right it was great.  They had homemade tortillas bigger than your head that they filled with anything you wanted for breakfast.  John had one with some sort of Mexican beef that was a cross between a lean stew meat and beef jerky, kind of carmelized beef.  I tasted it and it was very good.  I went more traditional with my tortilla stuffing, mine was stuffed with scrambled eggs, bacon and potatoes.   There was a red salsa that was very good served with it.  I only made it half way through mine before I was stuffed myself.  After breakfast we visited the lighthouse and went up it and then went through a couple museums and a few little shops.

The bottom photo was taken at the Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville.  We have lots of photos from there but this was probably my favorite and not something I've seen, at least in that way, at the St. Louis Zoo.  While the St. Louis Zoo is bigger and I'm sure  considered better, we really enjoyed this little zoo.  The setting was beautiful again, of course, much more tropical than St. Louis could be.  There were a lot of birds that were not tenants but seemed to have squatting rights and added to our enjoyment.  There was a resaca running through the zoo with a lot of aquatic life and more birds (a resaca is a canal or channel).  And it just seemed like you got to see the animals more "up close" and personal there.  There was a wide variety too.  We really had our doubts about it because we've been spoiled by St. Louis' but we were not disappointed in the least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment