Wednesday, March 11, 2009

HEAD'S UP

We've experienced some spring-like weather and now its back into the deep freeze. But that taste of spring got me thinking of the upcoming shopping season. The season of flea markets, festivals, rummage and yard sales. So I thought I'd provide with a list of a few that I know are coming up.

Kicking off the season is St. Paul Lutheran's annual rummage sale in Columbia on Sat. 3/21. The sale usually gets under way around 7 a.m. Sometimes they have an "early bird" entry at 6:00 a.m. for a $5 charge. I've contacted a friend of mine that goes there for details but I haven't heard back from her yet. Maybe this will be her reminder since she's a reader too. I'll try to remember to make a mention of it next week too (and have more details by then).

In May, Bloomington, IL starts their monthly flea markets back up for the season and they run through November. They are held the 3rd Sunday of the month. Parking is free but admission is $5.00 and while I don't usually like admission charges to go buy things from people this is one place where I say "go ahead and pay", it's well worth the price of admission. The sale runs from 8:00 to 4:00. I believe they have an early bird but its like $20 or $25 and I have never felt it was worth that amount of money. Some vendors are still trying to get set up at the regular start time.

Also in May is Maeystown's annual Fruhlingfest. It is the 1st Sunday of the month. It's a garden and antique festival and one of my favorite "close to home" shows to attend. Great food, great shopping in a great setting.

At the end of the May is one of the greater St. Louis area markets, The Gypsy Caravan. It is held on Memorial Day. I'm not sure of this year's location but I'll be getting back to you with that and other details. Its moved around over the years and the last time we went it was on the campus of UMSL.

The last one I have on my radar for spring/early summer is The Lafayette House Tour and Antique Fair to be held Sat. 6/6 and Sun. 6/7. This makes a great outing for the day to the Lafayette Square area in St. Louis. I have been numerous times. For $15 to $20 a person you can take in the house (and garden) tour of about 8 homes. You can catch brunch, lunch or dinner at one of the many restaurants in the neighborhood. Then stroll around the park and check out the antique offerings. There's also sometimes carriage rides and an old time baseball game to watch in the park. Again, I'll have more details closer to the date.

Let me know if you know of any happenings, festivals and shopping events coming up this spring and summer and I'll pass them along.

Mark your calendars and start planning your outings.

No comments:

Post a Comment