Thursday, April 2, 2009

PENGUIN SUITS

It's prom season and a reader wrote in asking where to find the best tux deals. I thought other readers probably have prom questions and issues too, so I thought I'd open it up. If anyone has ideas to share on tuxedos, prom dresses, corsages and boutonnieres, transportation, etc. please send them to me and I will pass them on to all you readers.

While my experience is limited I will share what I know. When Bryce went to prom a couple years ago, he chose to purchase a tux and wear it both years. At that time, we shopped at Men's Wearhouse and JC Penney, both at South County mall, and found a tux for $99 at Penney's that he liked. We did have to buy some black shoes (I think for $20 to $30) and a tie each year but that was it, and he still has it if he finds occassion to wear it again.

If I had been renting one I probably would have went through Memory Lane on Main Street in Columbia, since I use to work there and remain friends with owner (and reader) Pam Haberl. When I recieved this question I asked her what tuxes were renting for these days. She checks her competition and she says she is priced competitively if not on the low end compared to her competitors. She carries tuxes from two tux distributors - Anderson Formal Wear and Jim's Formal Wear, which is headquartered locally out of Trenton. Tuxes from Anderson start at $80 and ones from Jim's start at $90 and they go up from there. Remember, if you are comparison shopping you need to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Some include shoes and accessories, some do not. And different styles will run different prices. Pam has color catalogs in her shop for you to peruse and choose. She will then take measurements and place the order. You go in, pick up, try on and adjustments are made if necessary (and as long as you don't pick it up at the last minute). You can also check out their styles online. Go to andersonsformalwear.com or jimsformalwear.com.

One last plug, when it comes to flowers, Pam does a beautiful job at a very reasonable price. And she will take the time to work with you on the details to make that girl's corsage one of a kind. Details like color of ribbon and color of flowers and floral spray if needed and the type of "bling" that is put in it. And she's always up on the latest trends too. I can't say enough good things. Sometimes I help out, I'm the queen of boutonnieres, and the same care is taken with them as with the corsages. Memory Lane's phone number is 281-4538. If you're going to be picky order early so she can make sure she has everything you need in stock. But even if you're last minute she'll make something wonderful up for you!

Send me prom pictures and I'll post them!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment